If you are curious about the customs and feast days of Advent and Christmas, and you want to prepare yourself and your family for a truly fruitful (and fun) Advent and Christmas, this book by Father William Saunders is exactly what you need. It isn’t a long book. I finished it in a couple of days.
Some of the topics covered:
- Origins of Advent
- Symbolism of the Advent wreath (holly, ivy, and the four candles)
- Suggestions for a good Advent preparation
- Special Role of St. Joseph
- Christmas greenery and plants
- Octave before Christmas (the O Antiphons, Vespers)
- Origins of the Christmas creche
- Christmas tree
- St. Nicholas (Santa Claus)
If you have children, I think it would be great to read parts of the book to them. Many of our traditions go back several centuries and the stories behind them are fascinating. Father Saunders also offers spiritual reflections that will make this Advent and Christmas more meaningful. Moreover, he doesn’t stop at the Nativity, but also devotes several chapters to the Feast of the Holy Family, The Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God, The Feast of the Holy Name of Jesus, The Epiphany, the Baptism of Our Lord and Candlemas Day (the feast of the Presentation).
Get the book now: